Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let's start at the beginning...

Let me start off by saying this is officially no longer the journey of a 31 year old and sadly say it's now the journey of a 32 year old.


That's all I'll mention about that topic.


(Although I did have a great birthday weekend with friends and family, and remember those boots I was so upset about? The amazing bf got them for me, he's the greatest human on the planet.) Aren't they beautiful? I'm wearing them right now with my pj's and my coffee, they're literally never coming off my feet.




So let me just back track a little bit here for all you lovely readers that have been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for my next blog post...


A girl can dream right?


Let's rewind to the summer, when I took my very first class.  I'm thinking it's going to be about fabric, plush pillows, maybe even a field trip to Home Goods.  I look at the list of classes I need to take...1st class: Drawing/Drafting for Interior Decorators. 


DRAWING?? Wait a second, my drawing skills are comparable to my 9 year old niece, and I'm pretty sure she can draw much better than me.  Ok deep breaths I can do this.  I go to my first class and the very first thing the instructor does is give us a list of items we need to buy at the art supply store. I can handle the shopping task....
  • drafting board
  • lead pointer
  • architectural scale
  • adjustable triangles
  • trace paper
  • vellum paper
  • drafting dots (what is all of this stuff??)
  • the list went ON and ON and ON
$300 later I leave the store. I have items that I can't even pronounce. 


This class was so ridiculously challenging.  There is a LOT of math involved, and a lot of visual, spatial, and perceptual planning...I had to dust off the right side of my brain. Remember geometry class - that was a good time right?  I spent many, many, many hours working on my drawings.  The first time I had to draw a staircase I literally just stared at it for about 2 hours (and cried a lot) before I could figure out how to actually put it on paper.  Drawing seems to come naturally to some people, I am definitely not one of those people.  Luckily, I had an amazing teacher who was very organized and very patient. (The teachers at the BAC are all so amazing and talented, I'm so jealous). 


So after LOTS of tears, sleepless nights, and 8 long weeks of torture, I was ready to turn in my final project: 


TADA!! My very first floor plan:
Rendered: ( A fancy word for colored )
My first elevation:

Again rendered:


Finally done!! This class was long and very hard, but very rewarding, and then I had the entire month of August to relax, sit on the beach, and drink lots of well deserved mojitos.


Then September happened. My next round of torture includes: Interior decorating Introductory studio, Color Theory, AutoCAD, and SketchUp.  Sigh.


I'll be sure to have lots of wine readily available for my daily meltdowns. I'll lead you into the next blog by saying I'm halfway through these classes and my left eye is starting to twitch...

No comments:

Post a Comment